What Is a Pinched Nerve?
Pinched nerves occur when a nerve becomes compressed or squeezed between various tissue–bones, tendons, muscles–which over time can cause pain, numbness, and decreased function in that area or other areas associated with the nerve.
Pinched nerves can be debilitating, but they can be treated. At Dr. Ibolit, our chiropractic doctors, massage therapists, and physical therapists all have specific protocols for treating all types of nerve impingement.
Pain from a pinched nerve can come on instantly in some cases, or gradually in others. The following are some of the more common indications of a pinched nerve:
- Numbness or decreased sensation in the area supplied by the nerve
- Sharp, aching or burning pain, which may radiate
- Tingling, pins and needles sensations (paresthesia)
- Sharp pain in the back, arms, legs or shoulders that may worsen with certain activities, even something as simple as coughing or sneezing
- Weakness or loss of reflexes in the arms or legs
Whatever the cause or prognosis may be, impinged nerves can be soothed and in most cases completely alleviated with the–often without the need for surgery.
- Disc bulges or herniation
- Spinal foraminal stenosis: narrowing of a structure in the vertebrae that nerves run through
- Degenerative conditions of the spine
For Pinched Nerves, You’ll Find the Best Care from Dr. Ibolit
At Dr. Ibolit, we offer a comprehensive range of alternative care and physical therapy for patients struggling with pinched nerves. A free consultation with our doctors will help you get closer to alleviating your pinched nerve so you can continue doing the things you love to do, pain-free.
Our chiropractors home in on the causes of nerve pain, especially in the neck, spine, and pelvic regions.
Our massage therapists treat sciatica, carpal tunnel, and other nerve impingement with a deft and precise touch.
For preventing a nerve impingement from worsening in the future, we recommend physical therapy to build strength or correct movement around a pinched nerve.
Call us today for a consultation with our chiropractors or physical therapist today!
At Dr. Ibolit, we ensure that our treatments are personalized based on the patient’s medical history and needs. Our three types of care (massage, physical therapy, and chiropractic treatment) offer a multi-step process for recovery and injury prevention.